Bridge Disaster

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:04:36 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
BRIDGE DISASTER STRIKES SMALL MIDWESTERN TOWN

Little did local piano tuner Alan Barnard suspect what he would find when he removed the kneeboard from a mysterious piano—brand name Solomon (never heard of it, obviously Chinese or Korean made, 80's maybe, no serial number) ... Heck, if I'd made this hunkajunk, I'd wanna be annonymous, too.

The piano technicians of the list are asked to help solve this ghastly crime.

A picture being worth 1,000 words, please take a peek at the pictures of this bass bridge. I'll send more with some questions.

Description: Horizontal laminate on cantilevered apron, which is also laminate (thicker layers) and is mounted to the thin board you see peeking from the ends (about 1/2" thick) which, in turn, is mounted to the soundboard by  two small nails, 5 screws (two through ribs), and GFH.* This board is solid and looks to be pine or some other softwood; some of it is still stuck to the soundboard courtesy of the GFH.

Pin location ghastly, tremendous side bearing totally tore up the top two laminations in the center. No actual notching and the bevels miss the pin line by as much as an 1/8 of an inch.

Comments? Softwood?

More comments/questions to follow including a little procedure I came up with that helped ...

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

*Glue From Hell—seemingly unaffected by heat or moisture
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...