Bridge Disaster

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:30:22 -0500

> Pin location ghastly, tremendous side bearing totally tore up the top
> two laminations in the center. No actual notching and the bevels miss
> the pin line by as much as an 1/8 of an inch.

Just recap it. That will give you a chance to fix spacing and offset
angle while you're at it. To move the string 0.5mm at the strike
point, you would have moved the bridge pin about 4mm so I wouldn't
worry about that too much. Make a pattern of the speaking length pin
rows (indexed off the ends), recap the bridge (Delignit preferred),
transfer pin locations to the new cap, adjust spacing to suit you,
draw lines through the pin locations to locate the back pin row
(follow the approximate fan angles of the strings). Drill the holes.
Don't worry about actual notches. They wouldn't sound any better
than just a straight bevel in this case, and a few minutes with a
spokeshave will have you ready to pin it.

Hour and a half, you'll have a bridge. Apply new GFH, and screw it
down. Replace strings, pull up to pitch, submit bill, and hope for a
more fun job next time.