Soundboard finishing material - what and why?

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dave,

>Is the expectation that the finish will reduce the
> seasonal moisture exchange?

The main port of entry for moisture is the end grain.
That's the area you want to seal really well, and
fortunately coat thickness isn't important for tone
there.  I would guess that coating the radiating
surface with lacquer has mostly a cosmetic effect.

Just a week ago, I did an experiment and soaked the
surface of an undamaged piece of wood with a very
light "highly" penetrating epoxy while avoiding the
end-grain.  I wanted to see if it has any chance of
getting into undmaged wood.  Nothing got in.

Vladan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs