Bridge From Hell

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:18:36 -0700

At 09:41 AM 8/3/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Susan,
>It's obvious to me, that you have never made a bridge cap, etc. If you can
>tell me how to set bridge spacing with dividers, I'd sure be appreciative,
>as it would make bridge capping a whole lot easier than what I've been
>doing for 33 years!!!!

  Dear Curmudgeon,

I don't see the problem. You will have already worked out a rough spacing
using a monofilament line. You know how many notes in the singles and in
the doubles, and about where each section begins and ends. The bridge is
straight. If the spacing goes suddenly way out of kilter, grossly uneven,
you'll know it from the monofilament. So why not take a pair of dividers,
and get the spacing even for the doubles, and then take the pair of
dividers again, and get the spacing even for the singles? You just work
with them till you can put a small prick (if you'll pardon the expression)
for the left string of each double, and for each string of the singles, on
the line for the upper bridge pins and then ... on the line for the lower
bridge pins, having worked out the sidebearing to set the first pin location.

And yes, I've capped bridges. And I've used dividers. Now, can you explain
what your problem is?  Are you worried about curved bridges, or something?
You can make a straight line on a piece of card next to the curved bridge,
use the dividers on the line, and then run parallel lines down onto the
bridge cap, so that the string spacing will be even, even though the bridge
curves. I haven't done that, but Ted showed me how to do it, way back when
I was young, in Toronto.

ssssssssssnnnn