Soundboard finishing material - what and why?

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:33:11 -0500

David,

2 coats polyurethane sealer, sanding 220, 320, and 400, and tack, after
each.  Apply decal.  2 coats polyurethane topcoat, with 400 scuff sand for
adhesion after 1st coat.  Don't thin the topcoat with mineral spirits or it
will eat the decal.  DAMHIK.

Why?  I want durable water resistant finish, as much to resist spills
(yeah, I know they shouldn't spill stuff inside, but 50 years is a long
time to expect people to behave) as to control absorption from atmospheric
humidity.

Mike