Action Balancing/Leverage Quagmire

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:23:33 -0700

While the 16.5 knuckle might have given you a desired UW on the notes you
measured, since the FWs were at maximum or over (as reported) you'll be
wanting to remove some lead from the keys.  That will bring the UWs to where
you want them.  Look more at the overall BW achieved as it relates to the FW
ceiling on any particular note.

With a .55 KR and a 17 mm knuckle, you won't have any problems with overly
deep key dip, I can assure you.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:17 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Action Balancing/Leverage Quagmire

> Thanks for your input. Phil? - time to put your salesman's hat on!

yea I know..

Thanks for typing this to the masses..I was only an hr. late for my
dinner....but it was worth it to spend time with this method, tools,
ideas, and of course, the comfortable confines of Chez Farrell.

Terry - Dave: Actually, I thought the 16.5 knuckles worked better as far
as UW was concerned..IF I was to do a re-lead on the keys..which it will
need. I thought 16.5 was a better choice than 17. Another thing I
thought we saw with 16.5 was aftertouch came right in instead of it
being...8mil when we started? Maybe an exaggeration, but not by much..

In my original proposal to the church, I did put in a provision that
those Hammers, Shanks, Knuckles might have to be replaced. They balked
at the price..but if it's necessary, and will make this ole girl sing
again, then that's what it needs. They will know their money spent for
just a regulation (and not a good one at that because.....see previous
posts) will be nothing more than a bad band aide on a wide wound.

Please keep those ideas coming..this was a very enjoyable day
learning..alot.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)