stand by & pitch changing

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:45:57 -0700

Barbara Richmond asked: "Howdy all,

Just had a note from the director of the big auditorium.  A contract =3D
from a big orchestra has come through specifying that the piano be tuned =
=3D
not more than 6 hours before the concert and  "The piano tuner should =
=3D
remain available and on stand-by until concert start time."

What's a fair charge for stand-by?  Would it be my normal hourly fee, =
=3D
even if I'm sitting in the tech office reading a book?  :-)

Unless I'm planning on staying for the concert for my own enjoyment, I =
=3D
usually stay until I get the OK from whomever, but it usually isn't long =
=3D
after I've finished working.  At this point I haven't been informed what =
=3D
the afternoon schedule is.  This is the first time I've had this in a =
=3D
contract ('tis only my second season).  Just wondering how you all =3D
handle these things.

Also, this orchestra has requested something other than 440, so I'm =3D
thinking they should not only pay for bringing the piano up in pitch, =
=3D
but also taking it back down again.  Comments??"

Thanks,

Barbara,
If it is possible, tune the piano a few hours before the curtain time. =
However, this is usually not possible with touring groups, as they tend =
to make a helluva lot of racket, for hours, just getting their damned =
chairs and stands in the "ideal" position. DAMHIKT!!<G>
I would charge for the tuning + any voicing + standby time, (at or above =
your regular hourly charge) + the lowering of pitch + an extra charge =
for any pitch other than 440!
You can be sure that there will be screaming, but that's their problem, =
not yours, IMHO.
Regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police