Action Balancing/Leverage Quagmire

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:40:22 +0200

Hi Terry,

Upon reading David Loves post I noticed I wrote you were happy with the
existing "medium highs".  Of course you wrote "heavy mediums to light".
I would point out that mid mediums conforms to a 6.2-6.3 Stanwood Strike
Weight Ratio for a 36 gram BW assuming a 9 gram (KR x WW). So this is
right on line for standard Stanwood weighoff.  Nothing wrong with this
reasoning at all.

In addition, simply accepting your own estimation of the drop in ratio
using 16.5 knuckles and figuring into that  an additional lowering of
the ratio by moving the capstan (I mentioned 2 mm) in a bit I would
guestimate getting somewhere close to a 6.0 Stanwood ratio would be very
much in the ball park. In addition it would bring your KR down a bit (a
plus IMB). A full set of carefully sampled existing keys after a good
regulation with existing parts is of course a prerequisite for making a
more exacting assesment.

Stanwoods maximum FW's are what I personally find to be very aggreeable
levels.  If you want to go lower then you are left with either using
assist mechanisms, using lighter hammers, or lowering the ratio even
more. Tho if you want to stick with medium to high medium SW's, a  6.0 -
6.2 ratio given the rest of what you've reported will end up with about
36 - 37  grams BW on average using maximum FWs.

Cheers
RicB
--------

I have to disagree with this reasoning and think you are asking for more of
the same problem if you don't go to 17 mm (of course it's up to you).  If
it's true that a change to 16.5 lowers the R to 6.2, then medium high SW's
will be too much.  A 6.2 R will require much lighter hammers.  For that zone
you will definitely need to be under 6, preferably down in the 5.75 area.
Even at 5.9 that you achieve with the 17 mm knuckle, medium high zone will
be pressing the limit, if not over it for acceptable FWs.   The resulting
"too light touch" with the 17 mm knuckle on the samples is because there is
too much lead in the keys.  With FW's at ceiling or "up to 4 grams over" you
will have plenty of lead to remove and get the BW up around 37 and still be
at 80 - 90% of FW maximum.  Remember, FW "ceilings" are not a goal.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@comcast.net>