Difficulty Hearing Beats While Setting Temperament

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Sun, 07 Aug 2005 08:54:11 -0400

Robert,

I learned how to tune aurally with the aide of the SAT. It will be a
good mentor if you let it be.

-listen to the 3rds at a very soft volume. It is human nature to want to
play louder when you can't hear the beats. Learn this, and practice it
always.
-When you think you're right and the SAT says you're not, challenge the
machine by going through the aural tests(hopefully you already are). I
was never correct in my thought of what was in tune. The machine had a
better solution.
-Susan said move your head..couldn't agree more. It is much easier to
hear beats if you're standing away from the piano. I know you don't have
6'  arms, and the only other way to simulate this is to play
softly..also, quickly stagger the notes..in other words, you want to
hear F-A and its beats: Play the F first, and then play A. This is a
technique where one wants to play louder than what is needed, so be
careful. Also, this technique works best with octaves, 12ths, and double
octaves, but is attainable in the temperament.
-All of us come across pianos that we have a harder time hearing than
others, for whatever reason. We know they're there, so we know how to
listen for them. Don't think that once you hear it, it will always be
there. On some pianos, it will be as clear as day, and others you will
have to really pay close attention to...usually, the better the piano,
the easier it is to hear things. That is a generalization and not a rule.
-Practice
-Practice some more, and learn from your mistakes. Intentionally make a
mistake and then let the machine tell your ear how far off you are. I
did this with octaves..setting them too sharp - not wanting to be on the
low side. The machine taught me how wide the window is for a particular
piano.
-Let the machine mentor you. It is a wonderful tool for this
excersize...been there.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)