Fw: learner with some questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:31:07 -0400

Dear Listees, and Especially Budding Piano Technicians,

Four days ago, Nancy wrote to the Pianotech List seeking some basic
information regarding how long it might take someone to learn how to tune a
piano before they go out tuning for pay. I replied to that post, the gist of
which is copied below.

I think it is reasonable to assume that Nancy is trying to learn how to tune
aurally (for that is the preferable way to learn and certainly the way the
Potter course directs its participants).

It was pointed out to me (appropriately so) that my response was misleading
by omission of pertinent details. I stated that I did the Potter course in
three or four months, practiced for a couple more months and then started
tuning for pay. That is true. My error of omission was that when I started
tuning pianos for pay, six months after starting the Potter course, I was
relying on use of my ETD (SAT II). When I started tuning for pay I had not
mastered a full suite of aural tuning skills - primarily, I was not able to
set an acceptable temperament.

I was certainly not in any way deliberately trying to mislead anyone with my
omission, but rather I simply did not think my response through thoroughly.

My response was initially directed at Terry Peterson's response that 1,000
tunings are required before one tunes a piano for pay. IMHO, doing 1,000
tunings for free is grossly excessive to simply feel qualified to aurally
tune a piano at the beginning level.

Nancy also asked about an RPT as a tuning tutor. I stated that I learned to
tune without benefit of a tutor. However, I did not state that, on my own, I
only learned how to tune with the aid of an ETD. I would strongly suggest
that anyone trying to learn aural tuning enlist the assistance of a skilled
aural tuning tutor/mentor.

So, especially for those reading these posts and trying to figure out how
long it takes to learn aural piano tuning - all I can say with authority is
that in my experience, the answer would be longer than six months.

I also wish to make clear that I fully believe that good aural tuning skills
are very important for any piano technician to learn. You will always be
further ahead with those skills. Even if you do not specialize in tuning,
good basic knowledge of aural tuning principles will never go to waste. I
strongly encourage anyone studying this profession to master aural tuning
skills.

I apologize for my misleading post. I hope I didn't contribute to steering
anyone in a less productive direction.

Sincerely,

Terry Farrell