Knabe Action Parts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:03:43 -0400

------=_NextPart_001_002A_01C59D25.D3314720
You may be right with the action spread. As I measured it, it was =
actually about 112-3/4mm. It doesn't look like the wip rail is =
adjustable, but maybe. I'll have to look closer. But even if it is not, =
it can be made adjustable. And the move would improve the =
capstan/heel/magic line relationship - is that what you mean by "align =
the capstan better"? And yeah, you can move the letoff rail anywhere you =
want.

Terry Farrell

  I think the correct spread is 113 mm.  On many of those Knabes the =
wippen rail is adjustable so you can move it in a bit which should not =
only give you clearance for the jack but align the capstan better.  BTW =
Tokiwa also makes a wippen that works on that piano, though I prefer the =
Renner.  The let off button rail is also adjustable in and out to better =
align with the jack tender.   =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf Of Farrell
  Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 4:22 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Knabe Action Parts

  I starting to dig into an action from an 1890s 6' 4" Knabe. Trying to =
choose replacement parts. Original geometry is okay - could use a few =
tweaks. It seems Renner does not carry an exact match for the original =
wippen. Their universal wip seems to work best. However, the flange is =
shorter and causes the action spread to increase from the original 112.5 =
to 115.5. However, I think I can just slide the wip rail back a few =
millimeters to correct that.

  Below is a picture of the original at letoff. You can see that the =
jack has lots of clearance between the knuckle and the felt at the back =
of the jack slot.

  Below is a picture of the action with new parts. Here you can see that =
the jack is touching the back felt and at the same time it is still =
touching the knuckle. But if the whole wip moves back a few millimeters, =
seems to me all will be fine. I would use a different wip heel to line =
up better with the capstan - it seems this would work fine. The new =
parts seem to regulate out just fine.

  Or is anyone aware of better matching replacement parts? Thanks.

  Terry Farrell

------=_NextPart_001_002A_01C59D25.D3314720
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_002A_01C59D25.D3314720--