Used piano market, was Re: Bluthner Appraisal

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:28:05 -0400

On Aug 10, 2005, at 8:05 AM, Jon Page wrote:

> Due to the oppressively depressed condition of the used piano market

As someone who does not buy & sell pianos (and I don't spend a lot of
time hanging out at new/used piano dealers), I'm wondering how others
feel about Jon's assessment of the market. I do recall that when
Larry Fine wrote his first edition his conclusion was that while the
new piano market had landed on very hard times the used market seemed
to cruise along under the radar screen. It seems to me the "asking
price" for used pianos of all varieties and conditions in adverts
(newspapers, "want advertisers," on the web) by private parties and
dealers remains surprisingly high.
Have the Chinese imports really demolished the used piano market?
Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA