bass hitch pin

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:26:58 +0000

Hi Folks,
I tried to install a universal bass string on an old Jacobs upright and couldn't get the string up to pitch. Sizing was a good match etc. I looked at the lower hitch pin and noticed it was sort of bent downward and sticking out further than the others. It didn't seem loose, but should I take the string off and try and either tap it in more or put a new pin in? Could this be a possible cause ? Also, do universal strings loose their elasticity over a couple of years?
Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano