bass hitch pin

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:55:12 -0300

I had a problem, with a few new bass string, eyes unwinding.
The company replaced them for free. It was still a bad situation, the customer didn't like the wait, and second trip, and neither did I.
When I mentioned it on the list, a string maker from the UK, said that the wire should break, before the eye unwinds.
I agree completely, with this statement.
I feel that the company that made the strings for me, was using, blanks, with the eyes already in them, made by some other company.
So investigate your string manufacturer, and his methods.
Good strings in the bass, can make a piano, bad ones can kill it.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Kurta
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:19 PM
  Subject: Re: bass hitch pin

      Rick:
      Watch out for the looped end of the string unwinding around the hitch pin.  I just had a Schaff string do this.  Each time I went back and tried to bring it up to pitch it would drop back down.  Finally realized the string was getting longer and longer because the twisted end was slipping.
      Mike Kurta