Business Ethics Question

Mickey Kessler mickeykes@charter.net
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:54:41 -0400

Just wanted to thank all of you who've responded so far. Certainly, if any
blame falls to me, it's for being so naive as to trust this work to somebody
just because of the internet.

I especially wanted to thank Joe Goss for his advice on dealing with the
tenon problem. Joe, I think you're quite possibly right about having
deregulated the Bb - that's the key that's right in the way of your thumb
when you try to remove the bell joint. In any event it sort of reinforces my
contention that he must not have assembled and tested the instrument after
doing the work.

Also, I have left it overnight a couple of times now, and with plenty of
grease it's becoming a little more manageable. But I'll have to try what Joe
suggests (or get a pro to do it), otherwise I still risk damaging the key
work every time I play.

Incidentally, we're separated by roughly 500 miles. There are no reliable
woodwind repair people that I know of in my area - I currently live in a
small town, in a rural area of southern Ohio.

Anyhow, thanks again to all of you. Your responses are quite
thought-provoking and instructive - as usual, for this group!

Mickey

___________

Mickey,
Move on.
Be glad he sent the check back. Keep it for proof.
There are no guidlines for this type of person.
You do not mention the distance involved in this transaction or the local
area.
Bassoons are a bitch to repair but the tendon work is the real indication of
the quality of this person.
Leaving the instrument together overnight will size somewhat the cork, but
be sure to use plenty of grease.
It might be wise to sand the joints first, and regrease the cork. Use a one
inch strip of 80 grit paper and shoe shine file. Have someone else hold the
instrument for you to do the work.
His answer to you, shows me he does know what needed to be done, but the
tendon work must have been done after the repad and most likely you
deregulated the Bb when you took the instrument apart the first time.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools