newbie questions

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:25:34 -0500

Thanks to all!  I kinda figured the course would only be a starting point,
hope to never stop learning.  There are only five tuner/techs in my ~100,000
pop. Area (Shreveport LA), only one RPT.  None of these guys do much in the
way of advertising, no websites, so I guess they stay pretty busy.  I will
be joining the guild as soon as I finish the ASPT course (more a money
thing, but also, I want to know what people are talking about when I do
attend the meetings!)  This seems to be a great resource--think I'll be a
regular!

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Phil Bondi
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 6:58 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: newbie questions

> You said: In a C to C octave the lower 5th interval C to G will be the
> same beat rate as the higher 4th interval G to C.
>
> ...In the C to C octave described above, is the lower 4th interval, (C
> to F), then also the same beat rate as the higher 5th interval, (F to C)?

I have to chime in:

Doesn't anybody use the 10th - 17th test for octaves anymore? For those
that don't know:

C3 - C4..you want to test that octave..

Play Ab1/G#1 along with C3(10th). These 2 notes will establish a beat
for you. Then:

Play Ab1/G#1 along with C4(17th). This should beat slightly faster than
the 10th..not alot faster, just slightly faster. If the 17th is beating
slightly faster, then your octave is fine..slightly slower or the same,
then you need to tune C4 a tad sharper..a little too fast, then tune C4
down slightly.

You should hear the 17th want to "walk a little quicker" than the 10th.

NOT ducking for cover, and the flame suit is at the cleaners,

-Phil Bondi(Fl)