Problem Tuning A49 to Tuning Fork

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:04:13 -0700

At 07:46 AM 8/13/2005, you wrote:
>There are two ways to get around this.
>
>Tune A3 to A4, tune F3 to A3. Check F3 to A4.
>
>Or, as I learned, get a C fork, Tune C5, tune C4 to C5 (or better yet,
>tune C4 to the C5 fork), tune F3 to C4 proceed tuning the temperament
>with 4ths and 5ths checking with 3rds and 6ths.

These methods are very well laid out in chapters 4 & 5 of Braide White's:
Piano Tuning and Allied Arts.  Excellent descriptions and good, clean
charts with beat rates & etc to help you along the way.  Learning to use
both methods (e.g., starting with either of A or C) is part of a good
foundation of technique.  (...and, is very helpful when dealing with
shorter instruments in which the inharmonicity of the lower tenor makes
being able to start a bit higher in the scale valuable.)

>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page

Hi, Jon!