Twisted Keys

Don Valley dvalley1@Bellsouth.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:19:26 -0400

If you are talking about warping, I tried something several years ago
knowing I had nothing to lose.
It worked marvelously and has done so ever since.  I remove the capstan, rub
some water on the
top side and underside of the area you want to readjust.  I place this in a
microwave for 30 - 45 seconds.
On removal, I twist (not overtwist) with both hands in the direction needed
to unwarp the key and hold
it there for a 60 to 90 seconds.  If it is not quite right, repeat the
procedure.  I was originally stunned
at the stability of the repair and how easy it was.  I have done this many
times since and have taught
this procedure in chapter, region, and national classes.  The keytop is not
affected since there is no
moisture content in it.  Try it, you'll like it.
Don Valley