Warped/Twisted Keys

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:43:42 +0200

Hi Sid

I have to echo most of the responses that go along heat/steam to unwarp
the keys.  Kerfing works well enough, but strikes me as going a bit
further along the road to key replacement then I'd like to go without
just making a new key.  But to be sure... to each their own.

True enough, sometimes a piece of wood wants to return to its warped
condition.  Never ran into one I couldnt coax into good enough shape in
the end tho. Mostly a matter of letting the thing <<cool>> clamped into
correct form for a long enough time.

The microwave tip intrigues... seeings how that works from the inside
out as it were.  I will have to give that a try. Probably would work
just dandy, tho one has to wonder if it would weaken the key long term.

Cheers
RicB

I'm working on a Baldwin Hamilton which has some badly twisted keys.
There are a couple of posts
in the archives that mention straightening by cutting kerfs in the
keys and shimming, but not enough detail to give me a clear picture
of the procedure.  Any advice much appreciated.

Sid Blum