string termination

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:57:40 -0500

The capo through the whole piano is fine from a termination standpoint, =
but I'd want something in the capo to space the strings evenly.  When =
you get down to the point of tri-chord dampers string spacing gets very =
important. =20
=20
Those half agraffes in the old Knabe capos, what were they made of?  =
Brass or something harder?
=20
dp
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Sun 8/14/2005 10:54 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: string termination

> Why then not make a agraffe out of steel or some other harder =
material?
> That may be difficult for the one-off small-shop piano builder, but if
> there were a demand to others..... Why would this be so difficult? Why
> would brass persist so long?

Cost? Ease of machining?

> Why not use other termination types like a capo-type bar in all string
> sections like you see on cheap old American microgrands? What about
> something more like an upright pressure bar arrangement?

Actually, it looks to me to be quite possible to retrofit an
agraffed piano with a termination bar of harder material than the
brass agraffe, along the agraffe line, with a pressure bar behind,
screwed into the plate. A cast stepped bar would be ideal for
matching speaking lengths within the unison, but I'm curious how
well a curved bar would work. Just how critical are slightly
mismatched speaking lengths within unisons at those string lengths?
I'd guess there is some tolerance.

Ron N