string termination

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:29:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Geoff,

You wrote:
"... I'm wondering if given the point at which the
hammer actually strikes the string, (a point selected
to create the highest number of partials actually
related to the fundamental), if the fundamental is
actually the loudest frequency we are hearing.
Obviously it is, but in theory I would think that the
further away you get from the center of the string,
the weaker that fundamental "should" be...."

The problem with establishing the spectral content is
that it changes as the note rings out.  The higher
partials are present early on, but with the decaying
tone their relative strength diminishes.  If one
examines the tone in the "frequency domain"
(spectrum analyzer), the data is somewhat incomplete
unless the partials are also monitored with the
passage of time.

You are correct, the closer you strike the string to
the termination, the more you will excite the higher
partials at the expense of the fundamental.  By the
end of the decay, the fundamental will be the only one
left, regardless of where you strike.  The strike
point is therefore mostly related to the attack tone.

In the bass, you actually hear the higher partials and
not much of the fundamental in the beginning.

Vladan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs