string terminations

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:48:27 +0200

Hi Calin.

My point was simply to point to information compiled by those scientists that have
actually done some hard research. Most of what is tossed around back and forth here
is speculation to some degree or another. Not that that is a bad thing mind you. But
to at least read what research and real experimentation has been done seems to my mind
a good idea before one starts drawing up any conclusions.

Personally, I find the vertical vibration claim quite plausible, and there seems to be
some basic maths that back it up. But I will refer any interested parties to the persons
who've published on the matter. Both Stuart and Wapin have documentation worth reading.

One other point.... just for thought.  However a whole system achieves longer sustain,
the string simply has to vibrate longer as a result.  Without string vibration then
there is no system vibration either. So what exactly about the vertical termination
that causes this in both the Wapin and the Stuart terminations (one with virtual no
mass increase, the other with about 1 kilo) ?

Like I say,  I find reading the available literature on the subject matter valuable.

Cheers
RicB

------
The "vertical vibration claim doesn't seem very plausible to me (but i don't
have any counter-arguments). I just think the way a bridge agraffe can
improve sustain is just by virtue of its greater hardness (and weight),
compared to a conventional bridge pin, which seems to be a pretty flexible
contraption.

Regards,