CA glue

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:07:00 -0700

Come on Susan, you know if some is good then a whole lot has to be a whole
lot better.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Susan Kline
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:02 PM
To: tune4u@earthlink.net; Pianotech
Subject: RE: CA glue

Alan, everything you and some of the others write makes me want to say,
"YOU'RE USING TOO MUCH!"

Have you ever tried using less? For instance, have you ever tried treating
only the pins which are too loose to tune? If a few other sort of loose pins
stop holding later, you can always treat them later.

The beauty of CA for pinblocks, in my experience, is that it doesn't have to
be a big deal. No special appointments, no arranging for the customer to
be gone, no setting up fans or using special masks. I just put a few drops
on the seam where the tuning pin emerges from the block, try it in ten
minutes,
maybe put on a few drops more, and get on with the tuning. A few drops won't
gas you, or drip through onto the action, or make your shop clothes smoke.
Much less chance of it getting in your eye, too, if you aren't sloshing it
around by the ounce-ful. I still keep acetone in the car. I once glued my
thumb to my forefinger when replacing a rubber button, by having a little
bit
of white glue on the forefinger when applying the CA.

Just MHO,

Susan

P.S. I like Lock Tite for a brand. They stopped calling it Quik Tite, and
now it is just sold as super glue, but it still has the tapering small
spout, just right for reaching the base of a tuning pin, and the needle
built into the cap. It lives in a little pouch in my kit, and the small
plastic bottle is good for a couple of months, usually. I use it every
couple of days, and toss it if it starts to gel in the bottle. Sometimes I
have to unclog it with a voicing needle in a pin vise, but sometimes
bottles stay good and keep coming out right down to the last, without aid.
I never leave the lid off for more than a few seconds.