string terminations

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:22:45 -0400

Hi,

I collected up a few snippets for comments rather
than contributing a stack of mini-messages by
replying to each one separately .....

Ric:
>  I hope you will leave them up for a while as
>they are certainly worth looking over several
>times.  Nothing like a bit of real equipment for
>observations to get things <<vibrating>> as it
>were.

Sure. The videos on the website have actually
been there for a while now (same with the SEM
photos of felt hammers - did you see those yet?).
The intent is to keep them there as samples for
discussion. They're there mainly to show the
sorts of images that are possible with the
equipment. As I said previously, I wouldn't try
to theorize too much about what's going on from a
mechanism point of view (e.g. terminations etc),
other than concluding that the effects are quite
complicated and probably not  subject to simple
generalizations. Also, three strings unisons need
to be studied, since the interactions between
strings via the bridge are quite extreme (as we
all know already from experience and instinct).
The piano used in the videos was not even tuned
prior to taking those videos and unisons were
almost certainly out of tune at the time.

I have some super macro shots too from when we
investigated trichord phasing comparing with and
without pitchloc installed. These were taken on a
three-string monochord constructed to a piano
configuration, including full tensions, but only
a short segment of bridge on a narrow
"soundboard". In effect, this is equivalent to a
low impedance bridge termination and, in this
scenario, you can see the bridge move as it's
pumped by the string in the video, something
which is not visible at the resolution used in
the real piano bridge video at C64.  Again, it's
more suggestive than equivocal as far as testing
theories, because a careful sequence of targeted
experiments is needed to make valid conclusions.
But it does show how the equipment can be used.

It's also possible to extract quantitative data
from these videos, by tracking points. We've used
that method, for instance, to measure the
rotation of the jack with respect to the whippen,
which is otherwise impossible since the pivot
moves and defeats normal measurement techniques.
With the video tracking you can monitor, and then
eliminate, the motion of the pivot to obtain the
rotation of the jack in the frame of reference of
the whippen.

Andrew:
>I wonder if the bridge would move visibly for the lower monochord notes.
Stéphane Collin:
>I noticed that you can't see the bridge move
>under influence of the strings.  Is this because
>the magnitude of bridge motion is invisible at
>this scale, or because the bridge doesn't move
>that much, being after all a node in the whole
>story ?
Ric:
>Very interesting to watch the c64 bridge avi.  I
>ran this through extra slow motion on my viewer
>and for the life of me I can not see hardly any
>downward deflection at the bridge pin by the
>string. The strings upward motion at the pin
>(and immediatly away from it as well) is quite
>obvious to see, but if you mark the initial
>position of the string, it never seems to go
>below that plane. More then likely some effect
>from the angle.... or.. ?  It would be nice to
>see this same shot from a perpendicular angle to
>the string on the string plane.

All very interesting questions. The wheels are
already set in motion on this stuff, but it's
going to take some time to do it properly. All
input gladly welcomed. And the lab is always open
for visitors if you're close enough to drop in.

Andrew:
>What I found really telling was the high speed
>video of the felt punchings under the key.  I'm
>seeing several rebounds there.  Any change we
>can get a high speed video of the action doing
>its thing?  This is fascinating.

I have stacks of high speed videos of actions
taken for validating the predictions of the
dynamic simulation model that's been under
development for the past 3 years. That's one
possibility that could be explored in Rochester
next year. It would be nice to coordinate with
others who are doing relevant classes, say, and
show effects of some process of technique using
the camera (e.g. before and after). It's feasible
to set this up on the spot since the camera
equipment is portable.

Ron N:
>Cool stuff, I WANT one! One thing - either my
>system is psychotic (distinct possibility) or
>the C64 damper video brings up the D6 damper
>instead. Also, a question about that C64 bridge
>sequence. How fast is that unison beating?

And thanks to others too who noticed the screwed
up link. It should be fixed now. Continue to use
the mirrorr site please at
http://www.fortepianos.com, since ftp on my
regular website is still out of action.

Last, Ron asks about how fast. Both D6 and C64
were taken at 2000fps. The D6 = 38Hz fundamental
is played back at 30fps, so the apparent
frequency observed in the video is (30/2000)*38 =
0.57Hz. The C64 = 1047Hz fundamental is played
back at 4fps, so apparent observed freq in the
video is (4/2000)*1047 = 2.1Hz.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett