Veneer Repair

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:31:16 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2093417966-1124245876=:10701
Terry -

Granted, seeing the damage in person might change my plan of attack, but I would most likely go with an epoxy repair in this instance.  I like West Systems stuff, as I believe you do, as well.  Sometimes on corners like this I will add a brad or two for anchoring the epoxy, but if there is sufficient coarseness to the damage, it may not be necessary.  It appears there are some red hues to the wood color, so some addition of fairing filler along with their high density filler would be in order.  This would both increase the sandability of the repair, as well as head you towards the red hues of the veneer.  As long as your repair is lighter in color than the veneer's eventual color, you are on track for a very good repair.  Build a dam of sorts to apply the epoxy so that it conforms to the contours of the corner.  After it sets and you sand it flush, and after dyeing the wood and applying a sealer coat to establish the color of the veneer,  I use toners, furniture powders, brushes,
 graining pencils, markers, whatever you have in your bag of tricks to blend in the repair.  The location of this damage is in some ways fortuitous in that it is not a high profile area, meaning it is not a place the eye is likely to go to when appreciating the beauty of the instrument.  As well, in the photos there does not appear to be a strong grain pattern in this area.  This definitely works in your favor.  Feel free to call 614-879-5005 if you would like to discuss this further.

Mark Potter

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
I need to repair the front top corner of an 1890s Knabe before I refinish it. I don't much experience with veneer repairs in general and none with a corner repair. I'm hoping someone out in Pianotech List Land might have some good suggestions for me. The original veneer on this thing is really thick. The damage does not extend into the core wood - it is all in the veneer (mahogany). Below are a few pictures.

Thanks.

Terry Farrell

Thanks.

Terry Farrell