CA Glue

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:14:59 -0500

Don Valley wrote:
A note and little warning aside from the subject matter discussed.  Perhaps
you know this,
but avoid using CA glue for gluing plate felt & cloth.  I tried doing this
with CA glue when I
did not want to wait for the drying time needed by other glues I normally
use.  Much to my dismay
in several weeks I had to completely restring the piano because the chemical
reaction had
severly rusted the strings where they contacted the felt and cloth.  Not a
good way to learn.
Thought this might be of some interest.  I learned sometimes the quick fix
is not always the
best fix.

As someone just starting in this business, I'm here more to learn than to
advise.  But, I've been a chemist for twenty years, and, perhaps, can shed
some light on this topic from a different angle.

After mulling over the facts, doing a little research, and re-reading the
thread a couple of times, it seems to me Don's problem was from fuming.  He
mentions that he didn't want to wait for the drying time of other glues, so
maybe he closed up the beast too soon.  Even though CA glues bond quickly,
they can take a couple of hours up to a couple of days to fully cure.  The
fumes will react with any moisture they contact (felt's full of it, probably
anywhere the strings were touched, wood moisture, etc.) and could cause
corrosion on strings where they contacted the felt.  It's true that the
polymer formed is waterproof, so any "treated" metal, such as tuning pin,
hitch pins should be okay.

So maybe the take-home lessons is to use CA glue when appropriate, but for
your safety and the piano's, have good  ventilation, and maybe leave the
case open for a day or two.
John Delmore