the magic line

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 06:55:09 +1000

Quentin,

>Does anybody have a picture or drawing showing the "magic line" in
>the action, going from the capstan, I think?
>
>Andre Oorebeek told me about that yesterday but I would really like
>to see a drawing of it.

If you look at my introductory web page on the Overs action, you will
find two drawings of our action, shown at rest and in the check
position.

http://overspianos.com.au/actn.html

The two magic lines which Terry mentioned are shown on both drawings.
You will notice that with our action the contact points between the
capstan/wippen heel and the roller/jack pass through the line of
centres at half key dip.

The drawing which shows the action in the check position has a third
magic line drawn - the magic line between the repetition lever centre
and the hammer centre. In the Overs action the contact between the
repetition lever and the roller sits on this magic line when the
hammer goes into check. In a conventionally laid contemporary action
this contact is way off line. This is a minor point perhaps, but it
allows the repetition lever spring to work as intended with the a lot
less tension. We've done tests with a 10.5 gram bass hammer with our
action and an S&S model. The repetition lever loading on the roller
at check was around 80 grams for the S&S and around 60 grams with our
action. With our action, the hammer goes into check, even when the
action is played very softly. When regulating, we have to be quite
slow in rising the hammer to view the drop position, to prevent the
hammers from falling back into check.

I'm currently fitting an Overs action to another manufacturer's 225
grand piano. There will be an AB comparison with two otherwise
identical pianos from this manufacturer at an Australian music trade
convention in September. One piano will have a Renner action and the
other will have an Overs action. Company representatives from the
piano manufacturer, who has expressed an interest in using our action
under licence, will be coming to the convention to view the
comparison.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY