the magic line

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:15:48 -0700

Go Ron!

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Overs Pianos
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: the magic line

Quentin,

Does anybody have a picture or drawing showing the "magic line"=
 in the action, going from the capstan, I think?

Andre Oorebeek told me about that yesterday but I would really=
 like to see a drawing of it.

If you look at my introductory web page on the Overs action, you=
 will find two drawings of our action, shown at rest and in the=
 check position.

http://overspianos.com.au/actn.html

The two magic lines which Terry mentioned are shown on both=
 drawings. You will notice that with our action the contact=
 points between the capstan/wippen heel and the roller/jack pass=
 through the line of centres at half key dip.

The drawing which shows the action in the check position has a=
 third magic line drawn - the magic line between the repetition=
 lever centre and the hammer centre. In the Overs action the=
 contact between the repetition lever and the roller sits on this=
 magic line when the hammer goes into check. In a conventionally=
 laid contemporary action this contact is way off line. This is a=
 minor point perhaps, but it allows the repetition lever spring=
 to work as intended with the a lot less tension. We've done=
 tests with a 10.5 gram bass hammer with our action and an S&S=
 model. The repetition lever loading on the roller at check was=
 around 80 grams for the S&S and around 60 grams with our action.=
 With our action, the hammer goes into check, even when the=
 action is played very softly. When regulating, we have to be=
 quite slow in rising the hammer to view the drop position, to=
 prevent the hammers from falling back into check.

I'm currently fitting an Overs action to another manufacturer's=
 225 grand piano. There will be an AB comparison with two=
 otherwise identical pianos from this manufacturer at an=
 Australian music trade convention in September. One piano will=
 have a Renner action and the other will have an Overs action.=
 Company representatives from the piano manufacturer, who has=
 expressed an interest in using our action under licence, will be=
 coming to the convention to view the comparison.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
   Grand Piano Manufacturers