Danair Pneumatic palmnailer for driving tuning pins

William Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:41:56 -0400

At 6:56 AM -0700 8/18/05, David Love wrote:
>One thing I've wondered about with these.  With a hammer I use a pin driver
>with a wooden dowel attached to the side that serves to index the height of
>the pin from the plate.  Does this device allow you to do the same thing?
>Otherwise, how do you index the height?

The business end of these palm nailers is roughly twice the diameter
of the standard tuning pin punch which means that there isn't space
available to attach a hammer shank to the nailer, as you have been
with the punch. I use a real thin allen wrench (for strength) with
its short leg going into a hole drilled through the side of the
nailer tip (and trimmed to the thickness of the nailer wall), and the
long leg duct-taped to the out side of the nailer tip..

This is your stop gauge. When it hits the plate, the pneumatic piston
will no longer have the contact with the tuning pin head which it
needs to trigger the firing.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.