string termination

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:50:01 +0200

Hi all

Ric Moodly brings up a point about  buzzing which as far as I've
understood has always been the major concern with attempts to find an
alternative to the conventional bridge pin configuration.  I've never
really heard much convincing argument against agraffes beyond this
concern through the years. As far as the mass of the agraffe is
concerned.  I would suggest that the string sees as much (if not more)
the total mass it has to move rather then the mass of any individual
componet in the bridge/soundboard assembly. That said, agraffes
conceivably could be used conciously with regard to local impediance
concerns.

A point about the vertical vibration claim that seems to be rather foggy
in the discussions is just what this claim is really about. A couple
things might be worth to remember.  The impact of the hammer causes a
traveling wave to initially be set up on the string which eventually
dissapates into a standing wave.  During that initial period however the
pulse traveling up and down the length of the string is reflected by the
endpoints, and the direction of reflective force is with out a doubt
influenced by the orientation of the termination. The hammer sets a
vertical pulse (wave) in motion that smacks into the bridge termination
in an upward direction. The bridge termination repels much of this pulse
back down the string, and exerts a directional force of its own. The
pulse itself has its own inertia and wants to continue on the same
initial plane. As I understand it, the Stuart claim is two fold. First,
that the vertical termination point at the bridge is conducive towards
lengthening the time period this vertical component is evident. Second
that this exact lengthening is reponsible for an overall lengthening in
the sustain of the instrument.

Math proofs aside for the moment, intuitively there is support  for this
idea. The physical motion of the bridge / soundboard  is dominated by an
up/down vibration. A deflection of any string pulse in any other
direction then an upwards/downwards orientation will not only waste
energy of the string wanting to continue its up/down vibration movement,
but it will also exert that same directional force on the
bridge/soundboard... essentially attempting to vibrate the soundboard
<<sideways>> as it were. There has simply got to be some loss there.  If
all componets to the greatest degree posible exert forces on the
vibrating system in the same direction (i.e. upwards/downwards)  then
less (string) energy will go into dealing with any resistance to this
same motion. Less lost string energy would mean more for the system to
process into airborn soundwaves.

Of course there are a lot of contributing factors to why this vertical
traveling pulse dissapates and eventually leaves the string vibrating in
a somewhat ellipitical standing wave. End conditions, string
consistancy, interference of the two initial traveling waves on each
other... etc.  Point being that loss is built into the system no matter
which way  you look.  But vertical termination purports to reduce one of
these loss components to a degree significant enough to increase the
overall output of the strings input energy ...  or said elstwise...
increase sustain.

Since the math evidently backs it up and there is to date nothing
concrete that remotely refutes the claim,  I think it should be looked
at with great interest instead of skeptism.  Working on the <<buzz>>
problem of vertical terminations should be more on our minds then
anything else.

Just a few thoughts from over here :)

Cheers
RicB

Ric Moody writes

/Your pictures show an interesting concept of how to keep a piano string
from buzzing on top of the bridge (without to much down bearing) . Is this
an agraffe on the bridge? How is it actually mounted? Threaded, or
driven orglued? How does this sound? It must be acceptable as in better than
digital. These days most digitals are beginning to sound better than
most grands under 5'2" at least through loud speakers (including sound
reinforcement).

The other concern (theoretical) is that a string resting on a bridge by
itself transmits its vibrations directly. A string going through a big
brass agraffe must also move the mass of that agraffe which might be
many times more than the string itself so I wonder what the acoustic or
sonic effect might be? I would love to hear it because it seems such an
object might be made to solve the problem of down bearing controlled to
.001 inch for each string.

Ric Moody/