string termination

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 18:57:24 +0300

RE: string termination
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 4:54 PM
  Subject: Re: string termination

  OK, my brain stopped right here.

  Why is that "silastic" silicon-looking stuff necessary?  To stop =
buzzing in the string segment between the front (left, in this picture) =
horizontal termination and the center termination (where the string goes =
down)?  That segment is, what, half a dozen string diameters long: is =
that really a problem?
I read reports that strings were buzzing against the sides of those =
narrow slots. That silicone thing is one way to prevent this. Another =
would be to widen the slots a little and keep the strings to the center =
with a groove of sorts.

  Or does it buzz when the speaking length lifts up above the forward =
termination?  (Or ditto for the rear duplex?)
I doubt that happens. Perhaps if the hammer blow is _really_ powerful, =
but even then...

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calin.1L.com