Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Andrew,

Unless you have a specific reason to suspect the hitch
pins, I would look elsewhere.  Here is where I found
the problem:

If you inspect the pin block fit to the plate flange,
you are likely to see a huge gap along most of its
length.  This is a little less of a problem as long as
the screws holding the pin block to the plate are
tight.  There are also some screws at each end of the
pin block that hold it to the rim.  I found that
tightening the screws makes the Baldwin stable.
However, the best thing to do would be to put some
shims with some epoxy into that gap (short of a new
pin block).

Unfortunately, tightening all those screws under full
string tension is not an elegant way to do it, but I
can't see a better solution.  Too bad about the
workmanship, the Baldwin designs are otherwise
excellent.

Please let us know what you find!

Vladan

====================================

Any old-timers out there with hints on making these
more stable?  The
two in my customer inventory both needed huge pitch
corrections.  They were more work than most other
pianos I work
with.  Maybe I need to adjust my hammer technique a
little.  I will
suggest keeping them in tune for greater stability.
Ie. major pitch
correction, 2 months regular tuning, four months
regular tuning, then
every six months etc.  Any other ideas to add to the
mix?

Andrew