"Baldwin designs" was "Accu-just hitch pins and tuning stability"

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:18:19 -0500

Vladan said "... the Baldwin designs are otherwise excellent."

I have to speak out.

Scale designs, sure. Action, fine.

But I have always found Baldwin case designs and hardware--especially the damned fallboard mechanisms--to be atrociously cheap and un-tech-friendly. Remove an upright Baldwin action--then go do the same on a newish Yamaha. Etc., etc., etc.

It seems they followed the Detroit auto industry model from the 70s and 80s: Make them as cheap as possible to assemble, make them look okay on the outside, and pretend that no one will ever have to work on them. Even in the latter years, they just went so cheap--how 'bout those stupid T-shaped wooden doohickies that hold the music desk/upper board on the newer Hamilton studios, eh, look at them cross-eyed and they disintegrate.

I know some of you are friends with former Baldwin engineers/designers and I understand that the company was hideously missmanaged in the last years prior to the bankruptcy, but I still think it's annoying.  It's annoying that they were really giving Steinway a run for their money on the high end and had a solid worldwide reputation with tremendous brand recognition--and then blew it all of with stupid, greedy, selfish "leadership" from the top. Puff, puff ... pant, rant ... whoosh, deep breath .... hold it ..... let it go ..... ah .... tranquility ..... actually I think I'vefallenasleeeeeeee....

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri