string termination on the bridge

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:18:53 -0500

Was Del's picture of half agraffes in the capo tasta bar at the extreme
treble?  Of course damper issues are important not here.   It was a Knabe?
I have a Chickering grand with what I call "half agraffes" in the capo bar
to note 88

Regarding agraffes on the bridge like the Sohmer.   Didn't they have to have
alternating positive and negative bearing agraffes on the bridge? Now with
the Stewart design it looks like each agraffe has its own capo bar which
makes a lot of sense. This design eliminates the down bearing concern
regarding buzzing strings on the bridge. We all know the staggered bridge
pins are that way so the strings won't buzz on the bridge.  If they had as
much bearing as say violin strings the piano sound board would cave in from
the pressure of down bearing.  Just think if each string had one pound down
bearing the whole sound board would have to support 210 lbs at least.  The
is me and two cats standing on the soundboard.  I don't see how it could
support such a weight but it does.       I am referring to pictures posted
at  http://overspianos.com.au/strtagr1.jpg  and
http://overspianos.com.au/strtagr2.jpg

Such bridge "terminators" could have a down bearing of 0 to how ever many
pounds down pressure.  Interesting concept.... but what about the extra
mass?

--- ric

		"Advice is judged by results, not by intentions."
        Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC); Roman author, orator, & politician.