Using an SATIII to Learn Aural Tuning

Robert Finley rfinley@rcn.com
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:27:34 -0400

Several months ago I bought a Sanderson Accutuner III. I have used this =
to tune pianos, but I would like it to help me to become a good aural =
tuner. So far, I have worked through several different temperaments by =
ear (Defebaugh, Potter, Coleman etc) and checked the accuracy of each =
note against those stored in the SAT (after I performed an FAC stretch =
measurement on the piano, using the procedure described in the =
handbook). I found that some of the notes were very close while others =
were too sharp or flat, and I have to improve my accuracy. =20

I used the SAT to check how accurately I could set A49 to a tuning fork =
when matching the beat rate against F21. I performed some checks on =
unisons to find out how close the tuning of the three strings were after =
I tuned them by ear.=20

I also used the SAT to tune the notes within the temperament, and then =
listened to the beat rates of the 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and 6ths to hear out =
what they should sound like when I eventually set the temperament =
correctly by ear. I assume that the beat rates of these intervals when =
set by an SAT would be what one would expect. I am still finding the =
beats difficult to hear, being rather faint, and not easy to judge if =
one interval has a slighty faster or slower beat rate than another.=20

I assume these are good ways to use the SAT for learning to tune =
aurally, but are there any other things I could do that would be =
helpful?=20

Thank you for your advice. By the way, I have applied to join the Boston =
chapter of the PTG, and I hope this will be very beneficial.=20

Robert Finley