Stain Stripping

pianolac@bestweb.net pianolac@bestweb.net
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:29:30 EST

>List,
My advice to Terry was to scrub out as much stain as possible with a
Scotchbrite red pad or stiff bristle scrub brush dipped in denatured
alcohol.  I also advised trying a thin coat of Dyna 2 stripper.

Either or both of these methods should remove all or most of the stain, as
the stripper did on most of the case.  If any stain is left after taking
the above measures, light sanding should be sufficient to remove it.

On figured mahogany veneers, it's sometimes difficult to tell when you've
removed stain or you're trying to remove what turns out to be part of the
figure.  If you rub, sand or use chemicals on an area that doesn't appear
to change, then you've been working on the inherent color and figure of the
wood.

A good trick is to load up a paper towel with alcohol and wet down the
suspect area.  While the alcohol is still wet, you can see what the wood
really looks like.

Arthur Grudko