Stain Stripping

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:38:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Stefan,
    I had a customer I let strip his own piano. He
thought he knew more than I did, and ruined the case
by trying to "sand out"  stain spots in the veneer.
Most "scratches" can be steamed out, with a bit of wet
fabric pressed under an iron.
     The alcohol/lacquer thinner/abrasive pad idea
seems best to remove residual stain, if possible. Or a
brass brush dipped in the stuff, followed by a paper
towel/solvent wipe. ( Wear gloves and a mask. )
    My suggestion for chlorine bleach was only for
AFTER all these other methods have been tried. Aniline
stain responds nicely to it. This I learned fropm Bob
Flexner, one of the world's top finish experts.