Stain Stripping

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:47:20 -0700 (PDT)

Arthur -

Your point is well-taken, but I must not have run into any weak water-soluble glue as I have never had any veneer loosen by the introduction of any water wash, TSP included.  Granted, common sense is called for in that you would not leave the surface flooded with water for any appreciable time.

What I like about the TSP is that, given a surface that is totally free of finish, it will often remove more color than any of the solvent washes, without resorting to bleaches.  This assumes, of course, that this is your goal....

Regards -

Mark Potter

pianolac@bestweb.net wrote:
>List,
I agree with Mark on all points except the tsp, which must be dissolved in
water. If you're not real careful, you could loosen veneer which is held
on by water soluble glue.\

Arthur Grudko

Hi Terry -

>I have never used the stripper you used, so I may be shooting blanks here,
but here are the things I would try, in order:

>1. Re-strip the entire inner rim with a light coat of the stripper, and
use a maroon scotchbrite pad to lightly remove the stripper and hopefully
what remains in the wood. Ya could get lucky...
>2. Wipe down with acetone, or if you prefer, lacquer thinner
>3. Wash thoroughly with TSP solution, using maroon scotchbrite pad
LIGHTLY, with even pressure.

>At this point it would be a victory if the entire inner rim were without
blotches, even if it is lighter in color than the rest of the case. With
dyes you should be able to return its color to a hue similar to the rest of
the piano. Or, you can choose to leave it lighter for contrast.