Baldwin Designs, etc. / Ron N.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:00:49 -0500

> Would you be kind enough to show us your plate
> suspension system?  I would be very interested to see
> what you came up with.
>
> Vladan

Looking for a better way to suspend plates, that could be adjusted
from on top without pulling the plate again, I conjured up a system.
I used all thread, cut a slot in the top, and a lock washer under
the plate, with an acorn nut on top. It worked great. I mentioned my
shiny new invention to Del, and he recommended socket head set
screws like he was using, instead of slotting all thread. So much
for shiny new inventions... So now I'm using a 3/16" NC (16tpi)
socket head set screw 4" long. A nylon insert lock washer goes on it
to support the plate underneath, and it is driven into the rim at
the old plate bolt locations (or the relocated ones, as the case may
be). The plate is lowered onto the bolts, sitting on the lock nuts.
Height is adjusted via the hex sockets in the top ends of the
screws, and an acorn nut screws on to hold everything when you're
done. Plate height can be adjusted later even under full string
tension if necessary. The only problem I've had is an occasional
lock nut that doesn't want to stay put as firmly as I'd like. A
washer between lock nut and plate as David Love suggested to me
might take care of that annoyance.

Ron N

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: plate bolt1.jpg