Steinway Sostenuto rod problem

Kit Cleworth Kitster@Mosquitonet.com
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:12:03 -0800

This is my first post in several years.  I usually find all the help I need
from just reading the various posts from all you "experts" but now I need
help with a matter that I haven't seen dealt with on the list lately.

The pianist/owner was complaining that the sostenuto function was not
working on his S & S "B" grand.

Examination showed that the "U" shaped bracket connecting the sostenuto rod
to the monkey had pulled away from the rod.  The bracket is still present;
it's firmly held by the monkey, but without being attached to the rod, it's
of limited usefulness.

Any ideas of how to reattach the bracket to the sostenuto rod?  Has anybody
tried a repair that held up?  Or do I need to order a new sostenuto rod?

Thanks for your help.

Kit Cleworth