CA glue + Elmers for Ivories

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:42:42 -0700

No room for a cow, probably against the zoning here in town.

I actually don't use the glue trick on ivory unless the CA for some reason
doesn't work. But I do use the CA, because I can get a lot of them dependably
on in a short time. The plain CA one could remove with acetone, of course,
though it would be a little bit of labor. If a little bit of CA ends up on the
outer side of the ivory (like in a big fat thumb print ...), acetone will
take it off, but I haven't found anything else which will.

How did you find out that it was CA and Elmer's, Joe? Did you talk to the
tech who did it? I don't think it's all that common. Most of the ones I have
to deal with have been stuck on with (ugh) airplane glue. And then they come
back off.

I wonder if acetone would soak through the little pores of the ivory and
release the glue joint? Thump just put on something about acetone turning
white glue to a gel, as well, which I didn't realize, and which could come
in very handy at times. Perhaps I should make a few CA-Elmer's joints in
various
materials, and see if they will come unstuck with acetone.

Sssssssssssssssssssnnnn