To Ream or Not to Ream?

Pierre Gevaert pierre.gevaert@belgacom.net
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:02:35 +0200

Hi,

And what about those fluted reamers mentionned in the Reblitz? I've =
tried to find these for a long time now but without succes. As I never =
heared anyone else speaking about these I suppose it's not that good to =
use?

Pierre Gevaert

Belgium
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 9:24 PM
  Subject: To Ream or Not to Ream?

  I normally used to ream, before repining.
  However on this latest piano, the pins were tight on removal. Sorry, I =
forgot to take a torque measurement.
  I normally just go up one size, unless they are really loose.
  I am tempted to just go up the one size, and not ream. I do use pin =
driving fluid.

  I would like to be reminded of the pros, and cons of each procedure.

  It is a good quality upright, a Heintzman, with what they call an =
Agraffe Bridge, patented in 1895. It is the one with the three holes =
drilled through the plate, aligning the strings.

  It had no 1/2 sizes of strings. I am adding a few that seem to improve =
the inharmonicity, according to PSCALE.

  John M. Ross
  Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
  jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca