[Files] Re: Nossaman D

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:19:17 -0500

> How did you determine the position of the vertical hitchpins? The
> placement seems random in some places, or maybe I just don't get the
> idea. What did you try to achieve?

That they not be grouped close together in a straight line and
encourage the plate to break along them, and that they individually
lined up reasonably well with the front string terminations and
bridge pins. That's it. There was no intended tuning scheme or other
black magic.

> I like the front duplex idea.

Short and clean. No whistles, pings, zips, buzzes, or other un
needed enhancements.

> Do you have a picture where the front terminations in the bass area are
> visible?

No, but it does the same thing down there, only with agraffes
instead of a capo.

> Or an overhead image of the whole piano?

No. I couldn't fly high enough in my shop to get the whole piano in
the frame.

> Did you taper the soundboard?

No. It's 8mm throughout.

> That piece of wood connecting the tenor bridge to the long bridge, is it
> glued to the soundboard too? Is it meant to stiffen the assembly there?

Yes, and yes.

> Any chance to hear this piano on a recording.

Only if Dave Porritt cares to make one. He's got the piano now. I
didn't make a recording because the voicing wasn't final when it
left here and it was still pretty hot in the mid and high tenor.

Ron N