Bergmann BG Sostenuto/Action Stuck

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:15:52 -0400

Two things come to mind initially here.=20

First, try pressing the una-corda pedal if you want the action to slide. =
Much more efficient than the sostenuto.   ;-)

Second, if the action will not come out of the action cavity, check if =
perhaps the drop screws are hitting the pinblock (or, if you can't see =
the drop screws, could they already be imbedded in the pinblock?) - =
could this piano be early 90s vintage? Expanding action brackets? They =
can assume the duty of a very effective "locking device"!

Let us know what develops.

Terry Farrell
  I tuned a Bergmann/YC BG yesterday with a sostenuto pedal that would =
not slide the action.  Tried to pull the action to see what was going on =
and it would not come out using appropriate force.  Seems to me that it =
might be as simple as some kind of "locking device" used for shipment =
that was not removed in dealer prep - but since I am an independent RPT =
and a "newby" full-time tuner I have no experience with this particular =
issue.

  Also, on the same piano, one wing bolt was missing where the pedal =
lyre attaches to the bottom of the keybed.

  Help?

  Rick Bazemore
  East Atlanta