Common Problem, Simple Repair Idea

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:24:13 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
Photo: "Corner Damage"
This corner, hinge-screw damage is all too common in older consoles and spinets, where keeping the cost of repair on the low side is usually necessary.

Photo: "Wax Paper Dam"
I drilled out the old screw hole to make it larger and cylindrical. Then epoxied in tight-fitting pieces of hardwood dowel. When that cured, I trimmed the dowel and used wax paper to make a dam to keep epoxy where it belongs. (Thank you Dampp-Chaser for the handy push pins.)

Photo: "Corner Repaired"
I filled the damaged area with epoxy mixed with sawdust (made with a drill), warmed it with a heat gun to thin it, and scraped it as level as possible. This picture shows the corner after it has cured and been sanded smooth.

Photo: "Trimming Brass"
These thin brass corners are available at Lowe's, or similar. Because the depth was slightly more than the desk thickness, I used the sander to trim "humps" on each side of the corner--they now appear as straight edges. I also sanded the corner of the brass very thin and snipped it out with small wire snippers. This allows the side that will be on the bottom of the desk to be bent slightly to match the bevel of the desk bottom.

Photos: "Final Look 1" and "Final Look 2"
Used Dremmel to drill pilot holes for the screws holding the brass (bottom screw NOT used since it would scratch the piano and make the desk sit too high). Also drilled holes for the desk hinge screws. Both sides had similar damage and were both repaired this way. The brass completely covers all the damaged area, the epoxy, etc. It also provides a little non-wood reinforcement for the hinge screws and, I think, looks kinda spiffy.

Anyway, the whole thing took less than an hour and was very satisfying; thought I'd share.

G'Day,

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8