Una-Corda Mystery

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:50:40 -0500

Una corda lever under the bed falling down in front because the hook (or clamp) that's supposed to hold it up is turned to the side? (I can vidualize what I mean, honest; I just can't say it very well.)

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 08/26/2005 6:31:42 PM
Subject: Una-Corda Mystery

Okay, here is my first (and likely lame) contribution to the daily mystery question.

About 1980 Kawai KG-2S - about 5' 10" - very good to excellent condition. Lady bought it used one year ago (she paid $3,500 for it - perfect satin cherry case - she got a great deal!). During that first year she had a QRS Pianomation player system installed on the piano. We had set up a service appointment for cleaning the interior, tuning and looking at a "loose" pedal.

The left (una-corda) pedal was just hanging down. I crawled under piano to check levers, etc. Everything with the una-corda under the keybed appeared to be functioning just fine. Adjustment appears good (in that, when the pedal travels down, the lever moves sideways in the keybed). However, when you depress the left pedal the action frame did not slide over to the right. The keyframe was resting on the left felted keyframe stop. The action slid in and out easily. It was as if the una-corda lever system was not hooked up to the action frame.

What was the cause of the non-functioning una-corda pedal?

(This is probably too easy - however, it did take me a good 10 or 15 minutes to fully figure it out.)

Terry Farrell