Soundboard Removal

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:53:53 EDT

Ric
  My guess is Mr Bluethner didn't pay that much precise attention to the
amount of  crown  especially if he was compression crowning ,which he  was.
Judging  by the one & only one I've rebellied he didn't get  much crown  for long as
his ribs were to flat & not tall. Panel was  falling apart.
   If he had a 60 ft radious thru out I'd be  surprised. And historically
ribs that short  meaning not tall ,as we've  discussed much, won't hold a
compression crown many years.
    I think they just  knew  compression  was apart of the accepted recipe of
the day & this is how  it was done.
  He did have a beautiful sweeping cutoff bar though and  his ribs did some
fanning as I recall.
  Crown the  ribs to something tolerable & the  piano will be fine. His
scales were also horrible & whacky & all over  the map. a new bridge is what the
one I did needed. Didint' get it though
  Hey it is what it is as my wife says.
   Rumor has it that his glue maker was the  worst and so getting  a
Bluethner apart is  a cake walk. That's why he  used all those screws in the face of
the board. It'll be interesting to hear the  progress on yours. If you need
advice........
  Dale

I'm about to get started on an old first year  production Julius Bluthner
Patent Grand and will be using this basic  approach to repairing the
soundboard. I have to try and find out what  degrees of crown old Julius
used way back when, and how achieved it  first.  That kind of info seems
difficult to be sure  of.

Cheers
RicB