Bluthner / was Soundboard Removal

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:57:36 +0200

Hi all
Thanks for all the great replies. Didnt really mean to detract from the
origional querry tho. Soundboard removal is one of those discussions
we've had a bit of fun with from time to time, and I know there are
varied opinions about saving old panels. But since there are several
nice comments to this tangent that deserve a response here goes.

------------
Dale

You just know I am going to be sending questions your way Dale :) This
is as deep in as I've ever gotten, and on an instrument I want to come
out just right. I'll take it slow and easy and be relying on the good
advices of yourself, Arnold (Andre's partner in Amsterdam), Terry and a
few others. Thanks for the fine post. More below as it touches on points
others made as well.

/Dale wrote:
Rumor has it that his glue maker was the  worst and so getting  a
Bluethner apart is  a cake walk. That's why he  used all those screws in the face of
the board. It'll be interesting to hear the  progress on yours. If you need
advice........
  Dale/

------------
Terry and Calin

Calin has it right Terry. This is going to be as much a historical
restoration as I can make it while managing the best playability result
as is possible. My plan is to draw the cracked soundboard back together,
re-crown the old panel with rib crowning to whatever radius I end up
finding out is most likely the origional design, and install a new
bridge to match the origional. Rib crowning is my choice here because I
want to use the origional panel with its origional markings and decals.
I wont bother getting into the old wood argument other then to say that
this is an old piano and I want that age to remain intact as much as
possible. That said, I fully expect that if I could compare identically
rib crowned panels, one with this old panel and another with new wood,
that they would sound noticably different. But I'll leave that there. :)
/
/

/Terry wrote:/

/Are you trying to remove the soundboard to repair it? If you are
removing it, why not just replace it?

Terry Farrell

-------------------
/Stéphane

Thanks for the kind words. I wish your perspective on my take on things
were better understood by some here. I seem to upset a few people that
I actually have a lot of respect. Seemingly exactly because of attempting to
keep a respectfull foot in both worlds.  I mean I just love the experiementation
and rejection of the Holy Grail mentality some of our American and
Australian techs have. But then I have a love for all the solutions of
the past as well. More then anything I have great respect for the ways
and methods all serious minded manufacturers, rebuilders and techs
choose in doing what they do.

And yes, this is the piano we recieved as a gift a few months back. I
cleaned up the action just enough to get it barely playable to get a
sense of the sound this thing has as is. Needs a lot of help to be
sure, but still... through all the flaws it has accumulated over the
years ... it has a voice that commands attention.  It will be fun to do
this one to be sure.  I'm a big fan of the Patent Action btw.

/Stéphane wrote:

//By the way, I just wanted to say again that you seem to have good of both
worlds (how do you say that in english ?) I mean : you have respect for
tradition (which americans barely have) and open mind for new ideas (which
europeans have, but much, much later than americans).

I wish you twice the very best on this Blüthner project; and I must agree
with what Dale says (but who am I, etc.).

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin
/

Cheers