Soundboard Removal

Calin Tantareanu calin.tantareanu@gmx.net
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:29:10 +0300

  Calin said: "In that case, I =3D
  would say preserving as much of the original substance as possible is =
=3D
  the priority. You don't want to turn it into a modern piano, but make =
it =3D
  sound the was it was supposed to in the 1850's."

  Calin,
  First I would have to take MAJOR exception with your comment, in your =
not, but a large percentage of Technicians, that I've met and talked =
with, DO! I for one have such "Respect". However, in this post you say =
it will sound like it did when it was built, ONLY if you use the =
original sound board. To that I say B.S.!
Joe, first of all you make a confusion, I didn't make the comments about =
American respect for tradition. That another person, check the previous =
e-mails.

And I didn't mean to say it will sound the way it did ONLY with the =
original soundboard. I meant it is good to preserve the original =
substance (if possible and reasonable - that is, not damaged beyond =
repair) because it is a historical instrument. I think in such cases it =
is more important to preserve the original work and materials.
If one wants to really have it sound like new, just make a copy of it, =
carefully measuring the original and using the same materials. You would =
probably get quite close.
I really don't approve of discarding soundboards from historically =
significant instruments. That doesn't include the average Steinway, =
Bechstein or whatever piano made in the last 100 years or so, there are =
hundreds of those out there, which can be modified without any concerns =
for destroying historically significant instruments. But a very early =
piano is a different thing, which needs to be preserved, not modernized.
Imagine one would put a new soundboard and make a new string scale for =
an original Cristofori piano... what would that be?
That's how I see things.
  I just finished a complete Restoration of an 1867 Chickering, 8', flat =
strung Grand. If I had used the original board, it would have sounded =
like crap!!!
  Although, I'm sure, that originally the piano sounded as it does now, =
with a new board and judicious scale improvements that HAVE to be done, =
as our current supply of bass string supplies do not allow an "exact" =
replacement. Also, If I'm going to go to all that trouble, why the hell =
would I want to put the "assembly line" screw ups back in the piano? The =
end result, I am sure, for the Chickering is a slightly improved end =
result than the original, but not to the point of destroying the essence =
of what the original intent/sound was.=20
Well, slightly improved is not original. I'm not saying that you =
shouldn't do that, Just that it's not as it was originally any more.
I would probably do the same with most pianos, except a few which have =
some significance and deserve to be kept unchanged.

  This same thinking is now prevelant regarding the "restoration" of =
Steinways. It's crap and Steinway knows it, but they persist with this: =
"if it doesn't have all original Steinway parts than it isn't a =
Steinway" garbage. I'm old enough to know what a new steinway sounded =
like when it was new, back 4 decades. It sure as hell didn't sound like =
the #%%^^* CRAP that is touted as the "Heritage" line they espouse to!
Now you are straying quite far from the subject. I don't buy the =
"original parts" thing either, since Steinway doesn't make all the =
parts, but buys them from Renner and other makers.
  Too often Technicians think that the original maker knew what he was =
doing and achieved his end goal, on every piano he manufactured! =
Hogwash!
  If the board is shot, in terms of the cellular structure of the wood, =
it's SHOT! It needs to be replaced. Whether a tech chooses to do it the =
way the original maker did, OR make the end product capable of lasting =
Longer and sounding Better, than the original, than so be it. I, for =
one, chose to TRY to maintain the original INTENT of the maker, if that =
is possible, but I sure as hell am not going to waste my time =
REPRODUCING mistakes and crap!
Your approach works for most pianos. But remember that in some =
instruments (and just a few) it is better to preserve whatever mistake =
the maker made. Because it's more important for people to be able to =
experience them in their original state.

Regards,

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calin.1L.com