Bluthner / was Soundboard Removal

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:11:33 EDT

By the way Ric All
  Although I'm not a big historical sound guy I do  respect it's merits &
romantic notion of preserving history.   The Sac. & Modest chapters   have just
experienced  Billl Schulls Class on Early Steinway designs there are some
things to  consider when engaging this approach & a huge one is scaling, type of
wire  & original pitch design. In the mid 1880s The pitch levels went anywhere
from A-430 to A-457. 457 is roughly !/2 step above  modern pitch.  All  those
short stwy scales were possible  because of wire made before   extrusion was
common & it was called iron wire. Bills research which is both  Massive &
intensive has concluded that if one is restoring to original scales that  pure
sound wire is closer to  the original iron wire which is softer but  tonally  more
consistent with the wire produced during that time. He &  I both agree, if
your replacing the board then move or replace the  bridge.
  Joe. I suspect your Chickering would have similar  concerns unless you
moved the bridge around, made a new one or rescaled it.  Jonas Chickering was as
brilliant as he was  the wildest cutting edge  man of his time &  man & there's
no telling what he would be  culpable of. In our shop we have a saying, Jonas
what were you  thinking? The man obviously didn't get much sleep. Totally
driven.!!!!!!!
 As to recrowning your panel Ric. I also suggest you try  figure out what
species do wood was used in ribbing & then try to find old  supplies of it or
recylce this type of material out of old uprights. It's  probaly some typpe of
pine common on the continent & close to where the  piano was made. Know what I
mean?
  Also the way you rib it has Way more to do  with the sound than the wood on
top. IMO.
 I'd seriously consider  a new more sane bridge root  & thus scale ,Maybe not
radical ,but his scales,  from what I  researched were always changing & all
over the map. SO what's really  original???
  Dale

------------
Terry and Calvin

Calin has it right Terry. This  is going to be as much a historical
restoration as I can make it while  managing the best playability result
as is possible. My plan is to  draw the cracked soundboard back together,
re-crown the old panel with rib  crowning to whatever radius I end up
finding out is most likely the  origional design, and install a new
bridge to match the  origional. Rib crowning is my choice here because I
want to use the  origional panel with its origional markings and decals.
I wont bother  getting into the old wood argument other then to say that
this is an old  piano and I want that age to remain intact as much as
possible. That said,  I fully expect that if I could compare identically
rib crowned panels, one  with this old panel and another with new wood,
that they would sound  noticably different. But I'll leave that there.  :)
/

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com